Choosing a qualified and experienced DUI defense lawyer is vital if you have been charged with a DUI in Las Vegas.
An Experienced Las Vegas DUI Lawyer That Fights For You
Getting charged with driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs can be a scary experience. You could lose your driver’s license, be forced to pay expensive fines, or even serve time in jail.
During this stressful time, you need to take control of your defense – and your future. Contact my office as soon as you know you have been charged with a DUI.
As a veteran criminal defense lawyer, I have successfully handled DUI cases for countless Nevada residents and visitors. I will get to work immediately by:
- Thoroughly investigating exactly what happened in your DUI case
- Reviewing whatever evidence the State claims to have against you
- Pursuing all opportunities to have evidence thrown out from your DUI case
- Strategically negotiating with the prosecutor’s office for opportunities to get the charges against you reduced or dropped
- Providing thoughtful advice on whether to enter a plea or go to trial
- Aggressively arguing for minimum consequences if a conviction is unavoidable
- Always thinking ahead toward appealable issues in your case
Whether you are a Las Vegas resident or a visitor from out of state, I will work tirelessly to take the burden off you. My goal is to get you back to your life as quickly as possible.
What are the penalties for a conviction of a first-time DUI?
If you are charged with a first-time DUI in Las Vegas, you may face a variety of penalties, including:
- Fines: The fines for a first-time DUI in Las Vegas range from $400 to $1,000.
- Community service: You may be required to perform community service as part of your sentence.
- Alcohol education classes: You may be required to attend alcohol education classes or treatment programs.
- License suspension: Your driver’s license may be suspended.
- Ignition interlock device: You may be required to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle, which prevents you from starting the car if your blood alcohol content is above a certain level.
- Imprisonment: It is possible that you could be sentenced six months or more in jail for a first-time DUI in Las Vegas.
It is important to note that the specific penalties you face will depend on the circumstances of your case, such as your blood alcohol content, whether anyone was injured as a result of your driving, and whether you have any prior criminal convictions.
If your blood alcohol level is 0.18% or greater, you will also have to
- If you are younger than 21 or your BAC was 0.18 or more, an alcohol/drug dependency evaluation ($100) and attend an alcohol or drug abuse treatment program.
- Possible orders for an ignition interlock device for 3 to 6 months, regardless of your BAC.
Defendants are responsible for paying for IID installation and monthly monitoring.
What is the Best Defense Against a DUI Charge in Las Vegas?
There is no one-size-fits-all defense to a DUI charge, as the specific circumstances of each case can affect the potential defenses that may be available. Some possible defenses to a DUI charge may include:
- The stop was unlawful: If the police did not have a valid reason for stopping your vehicle, any evidence obtained during the stop may be suppressed.
- The breathalyzer or field sobriety tests were administered improperly: These tests must be administered according to specific guidelines. If the officer did not follow these guidelines, the results of the tests may be challenged.
- The results of the breathalyzer or blood test are inaccurate: Breathalyzers and blood tests are not always accurate, and the results of these tests may be challenged if there is reason to believe they are not reliable.
- The defendant was not actually under the influence: Even if the defendant’s BAC was over the legal limit, it is possible to argue that the defendant was not actually impaired at the time of the offense.
It is important to note that the specific defenses available will depend on the circumstances of the case. An experienced DUI lawyer can help you determine the best defense strategy for your particular situation.
Are you facing a second conviction or need more information about the charges you face? I offer more specific information regarding DUI charges in the links below:
Contact My Office
If you or someone you know is currently facing a DUI charge you need to speak with me immediately. Contact the Law Office of Joel M. Mann today to discuss your options for building a strong defense.
My staff and I will provide the personalized service and aggressive representation that you need to get through this difficult time. Schedule a consultation now, and get an experienced drunk driving attorney on your side today.