Las Vegas Sex Crime Defense Lawyer
Being investigated, accused, or charged with a sex crime in Las Vegas is nothing less than devastating in terms of the possible lifelong ramifications. Just being accused of a sex crime is enough to spin your entire life into turmoil. People are arrested on as little evidence as a statement from an alleged victim with no corroboration. The case merely becomes a “he said, she said,” with a potential life sentence at stake. It seems extremely harsh, but the law provides life imprisonment as a punishment for some sex crimes.
We understand that being found guilty of any sexually motivated crime can have dreadful social and economic consequences and may include lengthy prison sentences. In addition, the vast majority of people convicted of sex crimes are required to register as a sex offender in the state of Nevada. Registration as a sex offender carries a social stigma that can seriously affect your personal and professional relationships. Failure to register as a sex offender can face charges.
It is possible to become ineligible for a long list of employment opportunities due to a sex crime conviction. If you’ve been accused of a sex crime contact an experienced lawyer to assist you in fighting the charges.
Table of Contents hide
Prostitution is NOT Legal in Las Vegas / Clark County
Las Vegas has a reputation for sex tourism due to the wild nightlife and the array of sex-related workers such as exotic dancers, escorts, etc. Many people have the misconception that prostitution is legal in Nevada and Las Vegas but this is not at all true. Legal prostitution at licensed brothels only exists in a few rural counties in Nevada. Under Nevada law, prostitution is illegal in any county with a population of more than 700,000 people. This includes Clark County and all of Las Vegas.
Often times, prostitution arrests occur when the police conduct undercover sting operations. If you are a sex worker or tourist accused of a prostitution-related crime, it is vital to get proper legal representation.
Las Vegas Sex Crime Lawyer
The Law Office of Joel M. Mann has dealt with all categories of sex offenses in Nevada. Joel will guide you through this trying time and help you defend yourself against all levels of accusations. A law office that cares for its clients and understands their needs is a law office that will fight for you.
It is important that you understand how important hiring the proper defense attorney is when it comes to protecting your rights and your life. Call Joel Mann at (702) 474-6266 for a free consultation about the particular facts of your case.
Sex Crimes List in Nevada
The Nevada Revised Statutes have listed several sexual offenses and their punishments. Provided below is the list of major sex crimes prosecuted in Nevada along with the corresponding section numbers:
- NRS 200.366 Sexual Assault
- NRS 200.366 Date Rape
- NRS 200.368 Statutory Sexual Seduction
- NRS 200.373 Spousal Rape / Marital Rape
- NRS 200.485 Battery Domestic Violence
- NRS 200.571 Harassment
- NRS 200.575 Stalking
- NRS 200.603 Peeping, Spying, Peering into a dwelling
- NRS 200.604 Capturing Image of Private area of Another Person
- NRS 200.710 Using a minor in a Pornography Production
- NRS 200.720 Advertising Child Pornography
- NRS 200.730 Child Pornography Possession
- NRS 201.180 Incest
- NRS 201.190 Sodomy
- NRS 201.210 Open or Gross Lewdness
- NRS 201.220 Indecent Exposure
- NRS 201.230 Lewdness with a child under 14 years old
- NRS 201.300 Pandering
- NRS 201.354 Prostitution and Solicitation
- NRS 200.310 Kidnapping / Abduction for sexual purposes
- NRS 201.090 Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor
- NRS 201.2565 Exhibition and Sale of Obscene Material to minors
- NRS 201.540 Improper Sexual Conduct between teachers and students
False Sex Crime Allegations
False sex crime allegations or accusations are more common than you might imagine especially when sex crime allegations are made between people in a consensual sexual relationship.
Most people make false allegations out of fear or due to pressure from peers or police. For the falsely accused, it is crucial to get legal representation right away. Many people are prosecuted and convicted based on false allegations so it is necessary to fight the charges immediately.
There are a wide variety of sexual offenses in Nevada. It is necessary to have a well informed and experienced lawyer to help you navigate the legal system. Being falsely accused of a sexual offense can be a devastating experience, but with competent legal representation, you can put these sexual offense charges behind you and move on with your life.
Sex Offender Registration in Nevada
It is necessary for some people convicted of sex crimes to register as a sexual offender in the state of Nevada. You can find the complete Nevada laws on the registration of sex offenders and offenders convicted of a crime against a child in NRS 179D.010-179D.850. Below is some brief information and definitions concerning sex offenders in Nevada:
There are three categories of convicted sex offenders in Nevada:
- Active Status- This status indicates that you are following Nevada law in terms of your registration as a sex offender.
- Inactive Status- If you meet the required situations then you will be classified as inactive status for the state of Nevada which means that you are not a threat to the community
It is important to contact a lawyer if you are uncertain about whether you qualify for inactive status. You want to make sure that you are placed in the appropriate category so that you avoid breaking the law.
- Non-compliant Status– People are placed in this category if they have failed to meet the requirements laid out in the code. Also if the convicted sex offenders fail to do the following things they will be classified as non-compliant:
Nevada Sex Offender Tier System
In addition to the categories of compliance, there are also categories or tiers that determine how dangerous a convicted sex offender is to the surrounding community. Below is a brief summary of the tier system in Nevada for registered sex offenders:
- Tier 1 (Low risk)
- Tier 2 (Moderate risk)
- Tier 3 (High risk)
Consult a lawyer about sex offender registration in the state of Nevada. Depending on your particular sex crime and how your conviction was handled, you may not have to register, or you can be placed in a less restrictive category.
How a Sex Crime Lawyer Can Help
An experienced attorney can help in several ways:
- Help before charges are filed
- Deal with law enforcement on your behalf
- Work toward insulating and protecting you from criminal allegations
- Analyze the discovery and investigation plan for your case
- Come into a case at any stage and prepare the trial
- Make every effort to resolve your case without a trial
- Find alternatives to prison
Schedule a free consultation with Joel M. Mann by calling (702) 474-6266 so we can help you today.
- Nevada Sex Offender Registry – Official sex offender registration page with registration compliance information for offenders and sex offender information for the general community.
- Public Record Search – This page allows you to pay for a background search or utilize some public record information to find out the general criminal history.
Contact The Law Office of Joel M. Mann
If you have been accused of a sex crime, call the Law Office of Joel M. Mann at (702) 474-6266.
Joel will guide you through this trying time and help you defend yourself against all levels of accusations. It is important that you understand how important the proper criminal defense attorney is, in protecting your rights and your life.